A Brief History of Psi Chapter

The Psi Chapter of Pi Kappa Phi was chartered on November 24, 1921 by members of Cornell's Komos Club. The chapter was the first of Pi Kappa Phi founded in the Northeast, cementing the fraternity's reputation as a national organization and not solely a southern fraternity.

The chapter moved to its current location at 55 Ridgewood Rd. from west campus in 1990. The current house, known as "Greentrees", was built in 1913 and designed by Walter Burley Griffin, an understudy of Frank Lloyd Wright. The house originally belonged to Frank L. Morse, an industrialist and founder of the now defunct Morse Chain Co. In the 1920's, the house was also used as the setting of a silent film called "The Ruby Kiss of Death".

After Morse's death in 1935, Greentrees became home to Phi Kappa Sigma until it was bought by Pi Kappa Phi in 1990. Since then, Psi Chapter has worked to preserve the historic beauty of the house for years to come.

Although at its founding in 1921, Psi chapter only coexisted with 21 other Pi Kappa Phi chapters, it is now part of a growing network of nearly 180 chapters across the nation. Psi Chapter is one of the oldest Pi Kappa Phi chapters and looks to preserve the tenets of brotherhood which connect these chapters to one another.